Below is a list of organizational values that our collective holds and uses to guide our work. This list of values was developed and agreed upon collectively, and is subject to changes/additions deemed necessary by the collective as we continue to grow.
- Black Trans Liberation - We value the unalienable right to wellness ( both mental and physical), shelter, food, leisure, and freedom from cis-hetero-patriarchy.
- Honoring our history - We value recognizing people for their contributions, and not erasing their impact when acknowledging work they contributed to.
- Black Trans Leadership - Black Trans Travel Fund is run for us, by us (Black trans people). We value not having cis and/or white people holding decision making power over how resources are allocated to Black trans folks.
- Self-determination - We support Black trans women’s struggles for liberation, self determination, and recognize they are the leading decision makers. As a collective we practice acknowledging that a community’s people should have the right to control their own land, economy, politics and culture.
- Abolition/Safety outside of Policing - We understand that prison and police do not keep people or our communities safe, but breed and perpetuate violence. We are committed to increasing safety for our community in ways that do not involve working with police.
- Access to education and resources - We strive to ensure that Black trans women have equitable opportunities to access education and resources.
- Transparency + Accountability - We are committed to community building through openness and remaining responsible to the expectations we set for others.
- Prioritizing + centering Black Trans women globally - We recognize that we reside in the imperialist US empire responsible for exploitation of people and resources of other countries for the benefit of colonialists and settler colonialists. Because of this we make supporting Black trans women in Africa and across the African Diaspora outside of the United States our priority.